First let me make 100% sure that no one reading this thinks that this is a National-Geographic-Yogi-Bear-esque personal ad. I am not interested in having sexual relations with a bear or a woman in a bear outfit for that matter.
*giving those who need it a moment to click off*
Okay now that we have gotten that out of the way, I am indeed searching for lesbian bears. For those who may or may not know, bears in the gay community are “men that are commonly, but not always, overweight and often having hairy bodies and facial hair. ” (I didn’t define it, blame Wikipedia). And no this is not a term used to throw shade. These men are HAPPY to be bears. There is a Bear Magazine, Bear annual events, hell I’ve watched two different movies about bears on Netflix this weekend alone.
So my question is whyyyyyyyyy aren’t their lesbian bears? I’m not saying that we should all ditch the razors for a more “natural” look. I’m asking why aren’t their organized groups of lesbians that combat the hyper sexualized notion of lesbians. And don’t say that non-skirt wearers are inherently that group. Have you been online recently? I’ve seen more “studs” in bras (and nekkid) on instagram than I have ever seen in my life. Aside from just that, though different from their femme counterparts, studs are held to a rather high standard from their workout regiment to their attire.
I don’t think we would ever see a group of lesbians with their bellies hanging out dancing around the pool. And before you try to say “What about the BBW lesbians?”, I don’t buy it. Most of the BBW lesbians I know hold themselves to extremely high standards when it comes to their personal appearance. Are women too self conscious to “let themselves go”? Is it because there are defined groups of gay men that are attracted to bears, where there wouldn’t be a female equivalent?
Discussion: Are you a bear-ette (and willing to admit it)? Do you know any bear-ettes? Are they even possible in the lesbian community?
Just a little extra, here are some bear terms. Any lezzie equivalents (other than just adding -ette to the end)?
- Bear run – a gathering or circuit party for bear/cub types and their admirers.
- Baloo – an older bear who befriends and welcomes a younger bear (Cub) into bear culture.
- Black bear – a bear of Black/African-American descent.
- Brown bear – a bear of Hispanic, Middle Eastern, or South Asian descent.
- Chaser – short for chubby chaser, or a man who likes overweight men. Is also used to generalize bear admirers.
- Chub – a heavy set gay man. May or may not be a bear (chubby bear is a common term).
- Cub – a younger (or younger looking) version of a bear, typically but not always with a smaller frame. The term is sometimes used to imply the passive partner in a relationship. Can be hairy or hairless.
- Daddy bear – an older bear, sometimes looking for a daddy/son relationship with a younger man.
- Goldilocks – a female, often heterosexual, who is often in the company of bears (a bear’s fag hag).
- Grizzly Adams – a man who is hairy and is attracted to bears; but does not self-identify as a bear.
- Grizzly bear – a very dominant, heavy, tall, or hairy bear.
- Koala Bear – a bear of Australian descent.
- Otter – a man who is hairy, but is not large or stocky – typically thinner, swimmer’s build, or with lean muscle or no muscle.
- Panda bear – a bear of Asian descent.
- Pocket bear – a short bear.
- Polar bear – a silver- or white-haired bear.
- Redwood – a red-haired bear.