Kat recorded her first EP “Seoul Music” independently, produced by Kameron Pearson and Terrell King while on tour in Seoul, South Korea. It is a compilation of blues covers and original songs she wrote dating as far back as 2008. With this and albums to come, her’ focus is to be a part of this musical revolution that aims to awaken the masses and introduce them to the sincerity behind true music.
In her own words…
“It’s about the raw emotion in every note”, Kat says. ” If I can move someone to feel what I feel when I sing a song, then it’s all worth it”.
On a personal note, Kat is one of the genuinely nicest people I know. On behalf of the South Florida lezzies (and some boys too), we are so happy to have her back from her tour. And it’s not just because she makes the best drinks…. EVER.
1. Name: Kat Riggins
3. Yeah Yeah Yeah, we don’t like labels…..umm: so very gay
4. So what is your claim to fame? I’m a singer and song writer
5. What made you do what you are doing? I do it because I live when I do it. My soul sings regardless of my physical body… If my soul were assigned to any other being IT would be a singer. I have no choice but to do what I do… It is in me. It is my passion and my solace.
6. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? I see myself having successfully built my brand to a point of relevance after releasing at least 2 more albums. I see MANY live performances in my 5 year plan. I see myself working with creative geniuses the likes of Karreim Riggins, Jay Z, Betty Wright and more. I know those are big dreams, but that’s what ya gotta do if ya wanna get anywhere!… DREAM BIG, PRAY BOLDLY and WORK HARD!!!
7. What do you think are the State of Affairs in the LGBT community present-day? I see that we are making strides. I see a change happening and I am so blessed to say that I was around when those changes happened! We have a ways to go but we are closer than we were. What I love to see is the focus on family that is happening in our community now. Media is no longer focused on that small portion of us that are just looking to hook up. They have been forced to recognize the growing percentage of us that are in real, committed, loving, beautiful relationships for the long haul and that we are growing our own families out of that love!
8. What would you say to the young (and no-so-young) sister/brother who has decided to come out the closet? Take a deep breath! Continue to breathe! Stand as firmly on your belief and knowledge of your own relevance and legitimacy as those who stand against you will. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions and to validate and re validate yourself constantly. That being said, don’t feel that you NEED to explain yourself to EVERYONE… The ones who matter most in your life are your top priority. Everyone else will or will not fall in line. Most importantly, YOU must have your own back! That’s how you survive the world outside of that closet.
Just because I want to know..
10. What is your definition of pride? Pride to me means to have undying faith in yourself worth and your convictions. It means believing in your own right to exist as you are. It means looking a person in the eye, having a firm handshake, standing tall…existing with purpose!
If you want to know more about Kat, she can usually be found lurking around here.