I love food. I looooooove food. The problem is I don’t love the fact that my pants aren’t fitting at the moment. I have been using the excuse that I live alone and hate cooking for only one person, but that’s not working for me anymore.
So I brought my crockpot out of retirement the last week and made a Chicken Chili that was AMAZING (if I say so myself). I was able to eat off it all week, without taking one detour to Popeyes.
Ruby made a return appearance this weekend and I thought I would share (and keep sharing). I will try to keep my meals under $25.00 for the budget conscious among us.
First up, Chicken and Sweet Potato stew.
~Keep in mind I had the Sazon and garlic already, and I will be able to save the cooking wine and rosemary for other meals.
Fellow crockpot chefs, please let me know if you try it out, and how if you tweaked it. I am always down to make my food better.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat (I like to prep it with Sazon and flour)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup dry white wine (I like my wiiiiiine)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sazon Complete
- Place chicken, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, a cup full of ACV, and Sazon in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low about 6 hours.
- After the first hour, put in the sweet potatoes (so they don’t get too mushy)
Overall: 3.5 out of 5.
Notes: I am glad I held off putting in the sweet potatoes until the second hour because I wouldn’t have wanted them any softer. If you like your veggies firm, you might want to put them in even later.
I might warm up some sweet corn to add a little sweetness to it.
I am glad I put in that extra splash of wine though *wink*.
Would I do it again?: I like it. I would do it again. During my research I see people add peaches and/or apples to theirs. I think it would have fixed my “sweetness” issue… next time.