Pride season is in full effect and you are one of the lucky lezzies heading to Toronto for World Pride 2014? Niiiiiiice! We are sure you have secured your transportation to get there and hopefully have a place to stay, so we will fill in the rest. We will give you the details on how to get around, what to bring, and of course how to get your kicks! No need to thank us, ok maybe a little bit.
Hmmm…. it is quite possible that you don’t have airfare (crazy but possible)… so here’s a tip. Air Canada is offering a special WorldPride discount for the period of WorldPride, 10% off of the base fare. Use Air Canada Discount code: K8Y4ADR1
Short-term street parking is available throughout downtown Toronto. Parking restrictions and pay-and-display services are located along most major streets. Penalties for failing to follow posted signs may result in ticketing or even being towed. Toronto is also well-serviced by structured, longer-term and all-day parking facilities, with city-owned parking lots.
Toronto boasts an extensive network of subways, streetcars and buses. Single fare rides are $3, including transfers, and trips can be completed on a single fare (no fare zones). For more details on fares, schedules and trip planning visit the TTC website.
Quick and environmentally friendly, cycling can be a great way to get around and explore the city. Toronto has a variety of on-street cycling lanes and off-street trails. You can review a map of Toronto’s cycling facilities to ensure you find the best route to complete your trip. Bikesharing is a convenient and cost-effective way to get access to a bicycle for trips of less than 30 minutes. Bike Share Toronto is available at numerous locations throughout downtown, with several stations conveniently located in close proximity to WorldPride 2014 Toronto.
WHAT TO WEAR
Even if this is your first pride rodeo, you know Pride is all about free expression. So we can’t, in all good faith, tell you what to wear. Now with that being said, you are going to be elbow to elbow with THOUSANDS of lesbians, so now might be a good time to break out your best looks.
Here’s an extra tip: While Toronto might be a bit warm at the day, the temperature drops like crazy at night, so layer layer layer.
- Backpack/Over Crossbody Bag – Distributing the weight across your body instead of on one shoulder is crucial!
- Comfortable shoes – Now if that means 6 inch heels to you then get it how you live boo.
- Bandana (Maybe a rainbow one) – This is your most versatile tool. Pull it over your face to keep out the glitter. Drench it in water to cool your self down. Keep the sweat out of your eyes.
- Watch – There are so many different events going on at the same time it is easy to get overwhelmed. You’ll be checking the time constantly to hit up your choice sets, so spare your phone’s precious battery and pack a watch instead.
- Shorts and your coolest graphic tee
- Body Paint optional
WHAT TO PACK IN YOUR PACK
We were girl scouts once upon a time, so we are all about being prepared (and maybe a little over prepared).
- Water, Water, Water – You can get dehydrated while drinking…. non-water beverages.
- Cash– Who wants to pay ATM fees AND international processing fees? Not us.
- Sunscreen – Yes WE ALL NEED sunscreen. Black might not crack, but it can sure burn.
- Poncho – Lighter and easier to pack than an umbrella, especially the ones that have animal ears…
- Mobile phone charger – Or 2
- Extra bobby pins/hair ties
- Contact Cards (or Pen/Paper) – What if you meet your Mrs. Right and your phone is dead… a travesty.
- Camera – Yes we know you have the newest latest smartphone, but if you are like us we like a real point and click from time to time.
HOW TO PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR (well at least like a reality star)
CHECK OUT THE EVENTS CALENDAR – There are a lot of events going on! Whether you want to vibe with Thee Satisfaction at Tattoo, get your diva on with Deborah Cox and Estelle, or embrace the art of Zanele Muholi, there is something for you. So make a list, check it twice and make sure you see a good mix of the naughty and nice.
Drink Water – Overheating is not cute. Passing out is not sexy. Need we say more?
There is never too much BOOBS, not booze – Was that horrible for us to say? I feel like it was horrible and lame but… *shrugs* yeah pace yourself on the liquor. No one wants to be stuck in the bathroom dry-heaving Canadian Whisky, or be that friend listening to you dry-heaving Canadian Whisky.
Drink More Water – We aren’t kidding.
Don’t be worry so much about social media that you forget to be SOCIAL– I know that our phones are now surgically attached to our hands. I know that you are itching to use #WishYouWereHere (even if you don’t mean it). We are sure we are going be on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook ourselves but just like with whisky sours, only in moderation.
You Knew… – This isn’t a private party, it’s Pride so be respectful to everyone and the free vibe. Don’t stare at the guy in the hot pink speedo, don’t point at the girl being led by a collar. Don’t shove aggressively through the crowd. Don’t cackle, don’t sneer. Just do you.
Drink More Water – We are just saying…
Kristi K is the K of the KWord. She is a part-time blogger and full-time lezzie. Born, bred and cultivated in Dade county, this Florida girl you can usually find Kristi stirring up trouble on Twitter at @kristiweb.